Costume jewelry is another name for fake jewelry. It looks like authentic jewelry but isn’t. It is made with cheap materials or by a machine, and then it is coated to look like the expensive designer ones. Some people can’t spend much money on jewelry or don’t want to, so they buy fake jewelry.
How to wash fake jewelry?
Cleaning your fake jewelry is essential because it keeps you from getting pimples from dirty earrings and necklaces. Some fake jewelry is plated with gold. But the gold plating will wear off after a few years, leaving a silver base metal.
This is when it will start to turn your skin green. The chemicals used to make fake jewelry, such as nickel, cadmium, and lead, can make you and your family sick. In the long run, these chemicals might even cause cancerous tumors.
Methods for cleaning
You can clean your jewelry in a few different ways. Here are some of them:
You will need warm soapy water and a cloth, preferably one that is made just for cleaning jewelry. Check the label of your favorite cleaning solution or carefully choose your own so you can use it on all of your costume jewelry.
Using dish detergent
One easy way to clean your replica pieces is to put some warm water and dish soap in a small bowl. Put in enough water so the earrings or necklaces will be covered entirely. Let them sit for about 20 minutes, and then use cold water to wash them gently.
After soaking them, use a paper towel to dry each piece. Make sure all the water is gone, and then let them dry in the air for a few hours. If you have extra scrubbers lying around. Use them on any parts that might still have a lot of dirt on them. You can also use this method to make bracelets, earrings, and rings.
By using toothpicks
You can also clean your fake jewelry using Q-tips or toothpicks to get into small spaces where dirt tends to get stuck. Put some warm water and a small amount of liquid hand soap in a small bowl. Rub the end of the Q-tip in the soapy water, then gently rub any dirty spots with it.
Please do this for each one until you see they are starting to get clean. After cleaning them, allow them to soak in the warm. Sudsy water for another 5 minutes and then rinse them with cold water. When cleaning your replica jewelry, you should never boil it because that will probably ruin the whole thing.
If your fake jewelry has a bad smell because it has been out in the open too much. Soak it in vinegar for about an hour and clean it with dish soap as described above. If nothing else works, toss that piece. Don’t wear something that could hurt you or your family by exposing you or them to dangerous chemicals often found in fake jewelry.
Steps for cleaning fake jewelry
- Put the jewelry in warm water with a bit of non-citrus dish detergent and let it sit for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse the jewelry with cold water and dry it on a paper towel. Wait a couple of hours before putting on the jewelry again. This can also be used on rings, bracelets, and necklaces.
- If you have an extra scrubber lying around, use it to clean any dirt that might still be on your replica jewelry.
- You can also clean your fake jewelry using Q-tips or toothpicks to get into the tiny spaces where dirt tends to get stuck.
- When you clean your fake jewelry, look for discoloration, cracks or chips, and the coating coming off (gold or silver).
- If nothing else works, toss that piece. Don’t wear something that could hurt you or your family by exposing you or them to dangerous chemicals found in fake jewelry.
Advice and instructions
- Fine silver, gold, and costume jewelry can all look beautiful if kept clean. The best method to maintain it wash is to keep it from obtaining dirty in the first place.
- Don’t wear your fine or costume jewelry when doing chores or playing sports that will make you sweat. Sweat contains salt, which will turn your jewelry a dull grey color if you don’t wash it immediately.
- It needs to be dusted every day with a soft cloth, especially after you wear it at night right before bed. Do this over a sink so that any gems that might fall out don’t go down the drain or onto the floor, where they could be stepped on and broken.
- Keep your jewelry from getting tarnished in humid weather by putting it in an airtight plastic bag.
- Wipe off costume jewelry every time you wear it to get rid of the oils from your skin that will cause it to wear down faster and lose its shine.
Read Also: Best Ways to Get Ripples Out of Carpet
- Run clean water over the jewelry and let it stay wet. Even if you want to make sure your jewelry is clean and free of chemicals and dirt, don’t use hot water. Stones and other jewelry can get damaged by the heat.
- Be careful with costume jewelry because the stones are often just glued instead of appropriately set. This makes it more likely that they will get loose over time.
- Keep beads and other pieces in a unique bag or box where they won’t get scratched by other metals or stones. For example, keep pearls and rhinestones apart so that the rhinestones don’t rub the pearls.